Sophomore Spring Tour: Day 5

Morning in Santa Fe brought a drastic change in temperatures. After eating a breakfast of granola and fruit, I took my tails and music to the Scottish Rite Temple to drop them off, bundled up against the windy 45 degree day. I met Matthew at the temple, and we walked towards the center of town via Washington Street.

We passed the Santa Fe History Museum and arrived at the square, where Native American artists were selling jewelry, clay figures, and blankets. I decided to buy some souvenirs and got two heart-shaped magnets that looked nice. We meet up with a few other Glee Club members who were out early to explore the town, and went to the Cathedral Basilica of St. Francis to look at the art and architecture. It was an interesting contrast from the old churches I had seen in the southeast, whose stone walls showed in both the interior and the exterior. The outside of the basilica is stone, but the inside looked just like a typical church, if a little bit more ornate in its colors and moldings. The stained glass windows on the sides depicted the saints, and there was a fountain in the middle of the church.

Inside the Cathedral Basilica

Inside the Cathedral Basilica

Exiting the church, we wandered around and discovered an olive oil store, where several of us went in to try the free samples. A few people actually bought some olive oil and balsamic vinaigrette. By this point, it was time for us to go back to the Scottish Rite Temple and board the bus for the local high school, where we would conduct a workshop with their choir.

Going back to high school was a funny experience. I was reminded of how close in age we are, but also how much growth we go through in the first two years of college. After the choirs warmed up together, the Glee Club sang a few songs for the students. Then, they performed two pieces by Aaron Copeland and Martin Lauridsen for us, and our resident conductor worked with them on phrasing and performance. I recalled the awkward self-consciousness of high school me, and saw it in the boys of the choir, who felt awkward being more exuberant in their performance.

By the time we said our goodbyes to the students and drove back to the Scottish Rite Temple, we had about 45 minutes for lunch and were about 30 minutes late for a lunch reservation we had made at a local restaurant. Amazingly, it somehow all came together, though not without some strenuous effort. The bus took us to the restaurant, which was about a 5 minute drive from the Temple. Once there, the restaurant fed us chips, guacamole, salsa, and even fried mushrooms, while taking our orders. After all the orders had been placed and we were waiting for our food, we sang for the restaurant, both to thank them for their generosity and to publicize our concert that evening. The food came out, was quickly distributed, and then we were off to make the 15 minute sprint back to the Temple for rehearsal.

At this point, I should mention that Santa Fe is about 7,200 ft. above sea level, and as such, running is more fatiguing than normal. As we walk/jogged/ran across downtown Santa Fe, we received strange looks from people who no doubt were wondering why a group of college students were running around with takeout containers. In a last minute sprint, we made it back in time for rehearsal, though not in time to eat our food.

Therefore, our takeout lunch turned into dinner, which was hastily consumed after our sound check. The Scottish Rite Temple, although heavily carpeted, actually had a great, reverberating sound which lent itself well to our group. We also had a very enthusiastic audience, thanks in part to some of the high school students who came to our evening concert after hearing us sing at their school. All in all, it was our best concert on the trip thus far.

This Sign also might have been useful

This Sign also might have been useful

After the concert, we drove to an art gallery for a reception with the hosts and donors, which presented a fun opportunity for us to meet alumni and hang out with each other, all while looking at some interesting contemporary art. We got back to our hosts’ house around 10:15 PM, and even though we had to be up at 6:30 AM the next day for our drive to Steamboat Springs, managed to stay up until 12:30 listening to music and chatting. I only had a little bit of time in Santa Fe, but I was impressed by its architecture and the people who live there.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s