WuToWu #63: Sleep is for the Weak

Hi Jessica,

As a word of warning, college has way too many acronyms. But we learn to love them. If you’re really looking to escape them, you should just build a hut and become a fisherman or something.

I’m going to do something crazy and make this WuToWu post the first post of my HGC 2K16 Southwest Tour blog! It’s like a centaur, but in blog form.

March 11 was the first day of tour, and to be honest, it didn’t start out all that great. When the clock hit midnight, I was still in the dining hall working on my inorganic chemistry p-set with a couple of other people in my class. At 2:30 AM, I finished my p-set and returned to my dorm room to pack.

Fortunately for me (and not so fortunately for him), my roommate was still up too, because he had to pack as well. So we kept each other company as we furiously packed all the things we would need for the following week. I also had to make sure I had all my music and schoolwork. My roommate’s train left at 6:00 AM, so he was going to pull an all-nighter. I still had hope for sleep, but I was going to have to be efficient.

Sometime around 3:45 AM I decided to take a shower.

Finally, at 4:50 AM, I zipped closed my suitcase, praying it was under 50 pounds, and fell into bed.

At 6:50 AM, I woke up, brushed my teeth, put on some clothes, and turned in my chemistry p-set.

I had to take care of a few more chores (throwing out the trash, packing my laptop, phone, and charger, and picking up my bag lunch), but I managed to make it to the T-stop by 7:45 AM. I had a Dunkin’ Donuts muffin for breakfast. We managed to cram 37 Glee Club members on to the Red Line, then the Silver Line, and soon enough we were sitting at our gate at Boston’s Logan Airport. Everything seemed to be running smoothly, until our flight was delayed.

Fortunately, that didn’t disturb our travel plans too much. It actually gave me more at the airport to work on the essay that was due at midnight. Our plane left about an hour and a half after it was supposed to, but the flight to Detroit was smooth and my essay continued to develop.

I consumed my lunch at the Detroit airport, and wandered around the terminal a bit. IMG_1958I remembered seeing a sign like this the last time I was in the airport, which was during our trip to Taiwan. The flight to Phoenix departed around 4 PM, so I had some time to sleep. I woke up around 5:30 and wrote the beginning of another story in my journal, then pulled out my computer and made some final edits to my paper. That having been completed, I feel asleep to the melodious sounds of Muse’s Drones album.

When we arrived in Phoenix, I pulled out my computer, connected to the airport wi-fi, and turned in my paper. I considered this point the commencement of my Spring Break, even though tour had actually started some 12 hours earlier. I picked up my suitcase, and our hosts meet me and another Glee Club member to bring us to their house. I should note that even though we arrived at their house at 7 PM, it was still around eighty-five degrees outside.

We were close to downtown Phoenix, so after decompressing from our trip, my friend and I went to a restaurant called “Pita Jungle” to get some food to eat around 8:30 PM. Fortunately, the restaurant was only a five minute walk from the house. Stomach filled with shwarma, I came back to the house after dinner to play clue with our hosts. It was the first time I had played it, so of course beginner’s luck dictated that I should win. After the game we said good night, and got ready for sleep. I wasted some time looking at facebook and the news, but eventually I showered at fell asleep at 11:20 PM Phoenix time, which was around 1:20 AM Eastern time.

That was the longest day of my semester, and I am not eager to repeat the experience anytime soon. But tour had started, and I was going to get a good night’s sleep. Because I am “the weak.”


P.S. You are excused from a mandatory challenge; I think everyone should get at least one pass during their junior spring. However, your optional challenge, should you accept it, is to spend 30 minutes walking around, by yourself, without your phone. Then write about it.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s